If you are wondering whether you can start with affiliate marketing without a website, you are on the right page. The short answer to this question is “yes,” and the long one has many different answers.
Starting in the world of affiliate marketing is good because it lets you earn passive income, but just like every business, there is plenty of responsibility involved.
The good thing about starting affiliate marketing without a website is that everyone can do it easily. The only prerequisite is to have a clear action plan and strategy in place.
One of the best ways to do that is through social media – also known as social media affiliate marketing. You can discover many ways to benefit from social networks like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and others.
So, in this post, I will reveal the step-by-step process you can follow to make money with affiliate marketing without using a website.
But before getting started, let’s understand what affiliate marketing is, how it helps you make money online, and what you need to get started.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Many of you have the question “what is affiliate marketing?” and want to learn more about this passive income method.
The best way to describe affiliate marketing is as a process where the affiliate earns a commission for selling someone else’s products.
The affiliate is responsible for finding a product that people are interested in buying and then promoting that product, earning a piece of the profit of each sale made. The sales are tracked with affiliate links from one website to another, helping the seller see their analytics and the profits they made.
Basically, affiliate marketing without a website spreads the responsibilities between marketing the products and tracking sales while providing contributors with a share of the profit.
There are many reasons to start with affiliate marketing – for instance, Statista shows that
“Businesses spending on affiliate marketing are expected to hit $8.2 billion in the United States by 2022.”
So, there is absolutely no limit as to how much you can earn as an affiliate marketer.
What Do You Need To Start Affiliate Marketing
As we said above, affiliate marketing is not easy. If it was, everyone would be doing it, right?
Still, it is a practice where you partner up with certain sellers or services, creating an independent presence and reselling those products or services. You can live comfortably with it and even make a decent income.
If you are interested in starting with affiliate marketing, you will need to:
- Decide on a platform: This specific guide will show you some of the best ways to do social media affiliate marketing without an actual website or blog.
- Choose a niche: You need to choose your niche and topic that focuses on a specific category. For instance, you can sell children’s clothing, software, or cooking recipes. The more specific you are with your niche, the easier it will be for you to determine a target audience.
- Find some affiliate programs to join: There are many types of affiliate programs nowadays, and some that offer high payouts. Deciding on which one to join depends on your niche and level of expertise. The best way to find top affiliate programs is by doing a simple Google search on “the best affiliate programs.”
- Create some great content: Next step is content. Quality content is what sets ads apart and encourages people to click and buy on your offer. Instead of only blindly curating products from Amazon’s best sellers, you should go the extra mile and make sure that your content is descriptive and helps the buyer solve their problem.
- Advertise your offer: You can explore social media marketing (SMM) is a great way to advertise your affiliate offers. You can target people in specific age groups, countries, as well as individuals with specific interests, etc.
- Get clicks on your affiliate links: Once you start advertising, you will notice that you are getting clicks on your affiliate links. If the clicks are high but the sales are low, you need to figure out a way to present your offer better and navigate the users to purchase. For you to track how many clicks you got on your links, you’ll probably need link tracker software.
- Convert those clicks to sales: In affiliate marketing, two main conversions are needed so that you can make money. The first one is the one where the user clicks on the product page, and the second one happens when they purchase the product.
These are some of the basic fundamentals of affiliate marketing for social media. Applying them will ensure that you are on the right foot. However, you should not expect life-changing income from the start or freedom to quit your day job. First, your focus should be on how to create an irresistible offer and market it to the right people.
How To Start Affiliate Marketing Without a Website
Building a website is a time-consuming and expensive process. This is why many people are now looking for potential ways to skip the website design process. Even though to many, it sounds strange, you can learn how to start affiliate marketing on social media.
The only thing you will need to figure out is how to send referrals to the retailer, and obviously, how to get more sales for your products. Becoming a successful social media affiliate marketing expert doesn’t require much but knowing your audience and knowing how to market your products.
Speaking of which, the primary objective of every affiliate marketer is to deliver the right offers, to the right people, at the right time.
To do that, you need to create a certain balance between your vendor’s offering and your customers’ requirements. To do that, you will need a source of traffic and a good product or an offer.
Obviously, earning goods requires something that you can promote and sell to your audience. There are many products and potential opportunities on the market, and selecting a suitable affiliate program to join should be your decision.
Let’s discuss things in a bit more detail.
1- Choose a Niche
Finding a profitable niche is one of the essential things when it comes to successful affiliate marketing. At the same time, it can be one of the most dreaded aspects of business research for many marketers.
For those of you who don’t know, a niche is basically a highly specialized market. A good example is organic vegan shampoo.
While shampoo is mass-produced and bought in large quantities, organic vegan shampoo is a smaller market that only a specific group of people are interested in. This means that it is a niche that is easier to compete in, rather than going against major brands and products.
The key in finding a good niche is to select a broad category that you are interested in, have researched, or think is profitable – and then use it to develop smaller niches within the industry or sector.
The next step would be to test its worth and see how much you can earn with it, obviously, through some of the best affiliate programs. Here’s how you can join them.
2- Join Affiliate Programs
The basic definition of affiliate marketing programs is programs that help you get ready-made offers to promote online. These serve as additional sales channels for individuals and businesses, and you can easily sign up, get links, and convince others to click and make a purchase.
The best thing about joining affiliate programs is that you get pre-made products and offers where you only need to think about how you will advertise them. Now, it is up to you to see which programs are a waste of your time and which are legit.
You’ll also need to see whether you want to advertise digital or physical affiliate products. With digital products, the process is easier, and you can deliver them online. For instance, the Builderall Affiliate Program is great for people who want to attract marketers to sign up and get an all-in-one tool for managing their sales funnel and automating their marketing.
Physical products, on the other hand, need to be manufactured, stored, and shipped. The good thing is that most affiliate programs have this process streamlined and will only give you commission for the sale, taking care of every other aspect.
Speaking of which, the commission is another thing you should consider as an affiliate marketer. Those new to it should best understand it as the percentage of a sale, or in some cases, a fixed price per sale.
The good thing about affiliate marketing and commissions is that they may increase if you sell more, and there might be promotions for people joining new programs. Also, products that are harder to sell often have a higher commission.
Now, there are so many different affiliate programs and products based on industry, category, and whatnot else. Some of the best affiliate programs for beginners include:
- Match.com (a famous dating portal),
- Coursera (an educational brand that is a relatively easy vertical to sell in)
- Clickbank (one of the most popular affiliate programs that are also newbie-friendly)
- CJ Affiliate (plenty of interesting offers and a steeper learning curve)
- Lemonade (working with many high-tech companies)
- Amazon Associates (an easy affiliate program)
There are obviously a lot more affiliate programs than the ones we’ve listed. However, our point was not to list them all but to help you understand the basics. If you have already decided on your niche, it may be easier for you to browse affiliate programs by niche and do your research on Google. Now, let’s talk about social media affiliate marketing and all the channels you can use.
3- Select a Platform
Becoming a successful social media affiliate marketing expert does not require you to have a blog or a website. However, it does require a certain form of an online presence – for example, you can have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram as a good place to start.
Nowadays, some of the most popular social media platforms for affiliate marketers include:
- Email Marketing
In the sections below, we will explain how you can get started with social media affiliate marketing on all of these – step by step.
1- How To Start Affiliate Marketing on TikTok
Want to make money on TikTok with affiliate marketing? Well, you are not the only one. TikTok is one of the highest growing social networks and a creative outlet that allows you to generate plenty of content and discover unique ways to communicate and have fun. The momentum that this network has gathered makes it a great fit for business. With over 689 million global active users as of January 2021, it is definitely one of the best social media affiliate marketing networks.
Almost any brand in any industry or niche can use TikTok for business. From memes to educational content, videos dedicated to a special occasion, trending challenges, recipes, and life hacks or quick tips, you can use many ideas for successful affiliate marketing.
Some of the best ways to start affiliate marketing on TikTok include:
- USING YOUR ORGANIC REACH: The first method is to just try and leverage as much free organic traffic as possible. As of now, TikTok does not limit the traffic a content creator can get, and you may end up with thousands of views in a short period of time. To effectively market, make sure to link to a URL from your profile, redirect traffic to another social profile, and promote coupon codes and URLs in your videos. Having an affiliate URL to your content description can also help you.
- LINK TO EXTERNAL URLS: If you want to link to external URLs from TikTok, you need to upgrade to a business account (personal accounts can’t add clickable URLs in their profile).
- LINK TO YOUR OTHER SOCIAL PROFILES: By tapping on the ‘Me’ icon on the TikTok app and then going to ‘Edit Profile,’ you can add your Instagram and YouTube accounts, helping people find you on more social networks.
- USE PROMO CODES: Promo codes are a win-win for TikTok affiliate marketing, and they have shown some serious ROI for marketers. Make sure to highlight the promo code and what they’ll need to do when purchasing to get a discount.
2- How To Start Affiliate Marketing on YouTube
If you’ve seen people making big bucks with affiliate marketing without a website, it’s likely that most of them use YouTube as their social media strategy. Actually, YouTube is quite a big channel with plenty of content and a network on its own, which is why it is popular among the masses.
Additionally, affiliate links are allowed on YouTube, which makes it super profitable for marketers. You can learn how the network works and use it to make money as a YouTube affiliate. To use YouTube to get affiliate sales, you’ll need to decide on the videos that you are going to post on your channel and consider the products and services you love. So, you need to decide on the following:
- PRODUCT VS. SERVICE REVIEWS: First of all, you need to determine whether you are going to review products or services. If you choose products, you can review them with unboxing and tell people about the features and why you like those products. If you decide to review services, you need to be honest and talk about a service that appeals to your target audience.
- TUTORIAL VIDEOS: Another great way to succeed with social media affiliate marketing are tutorial videos. Long or short, these videos should give people the necessary information for the project. If you only give partial information, people will click away to another more in-depth tutorial. When creating tutorial videos, you will want to show people the exact way something is done and what you use for it.
- ‘BEST OF’ VIDEOS: Make a list of some of the ‘best of’ videos in the category you are promoting. You can comment and talk about the pros and cons of each of the products and make sure that you keep people watching through the entire video.
- COMPARISONS: Product or service comparisons are also great as they give people insights into the differences between two or more choices.
Just like with any other social network, you need to pick out a niche and an audience for successful YouTube affiliate marketing. Your channel needs to be set up with a professional layout, links to other social networks, a Profile and Cover picture, etc. You’ll need to consistently create content and separate yourself from a wannabe to a true professional.
3- How To Start Affiliate Marketing on Pinterest
Pinterest has more than 322 million monthly active users and is a great source of inspiration. Many marketers also use it as their additional or main revenue stream for affiliate sales of products, programs, and services. If you are interested in exploring affiliate marketing on Pinterest, you should know that the network is an amazing source of traffic as it helps drive visitors to your website on a daily basis.
So, how to do affiliate marketing on Pinterest?
It’s simple – the network allows you to put affiliate links with every post. However, you need to follow some of the best rules and practices and start affiliate marketing on Pinterest step by step (instead of overpromoting everything at once). Here are some of the basics you should follow:
- PLAY BY THE RULES OF THE AFFILIATE PROGRAM: To make money with affiliate marketing on Pinterest, you need to check the rules of all of the specific affiliate programs you have joined. For instance, Etsy does not permit affiliates to post direct links on Pinterest – Etsy Affiliates has a policy for this and only allows promoting products in blog posts and linking to that from the pins.
- PROVIDE VALUE AND NOT SPAM: Linking to products and pages without anything will only give you zero trust from people browsing and no clicks from potential buyers. Instead, try focusing your energy on offering something of value – whether that’s a blog post, a video, or a free guide.
- DISCLOSE YOUR AFFILIATE LINKS: When using an affiliate link, make sure to highlight that it is an affiliate offer. Do that in some part of the post, whether it’s an #affiliate hashtag or something like a disclaimer.
Many marketers say that learning how to do affiliate marketing on Pinterest is absolutely worth it because the network is a great one for passive income. Still, you need to understand how this social network works, and instead of treating it as a search engine, try understanding that the more unique phrases and keywords you use in your content, the better you’ll show up in the results.
Some of the best ways to maximize results with affiliate marketing on Pinterest include creating multiple pins for each piece of content, staying consistent when posting, analyzing the results with Pinterest Analytics, and testing different variations of your posts.
4- How To Start Affiliate Marketing on Facebook
Facebook is still one of the most popular social networks out there, and doing affiliate marketing without a website there is absolutely possible. To do that, you will need to create a Business Page and promote your offers from there.
Some of the best ways to promote your offers on Facebook include:
- FACEBOOK GROUPS: Joining different Facebook groups and engaging with the group members there can help you sell your products and get more clicks to your offer. There are many groups you can join on Facebook.
- 80/20 RULE: Facebook users don’t fall for spam, so use the 80/20 rule when creating posts. This basically means that 80% of your posts are educational or entertaining, and most of all, shareable, while the rest of the 20% can be promotional. The goal is to create as much value as possible with each post.
- FACEBOOK ADS: You can always explore Facebook Ads and get paid traffic to your affiliate offer. A few targeted ads can help you build an engaged audience in a couple of weeks.
- DISCLAIMER POLICY: According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), you need to disclose your affiliate marketing efforts on Facebook. To do that, make sure to add some “This post contains affiliate links” text in all of your posts.
Facebook is an excellent platform where you can grow your affiliate business. However, doing that may take some time, which is why you need to learn, test, practice, and see the best ways to attract organic likes and follows with value-driven content.
5- How To Start Affiliate Marketing With Email Marketing
Affiliate email marketing is a method of promoting affiliate links through targeted and well-crafted emails. This is quite different from traditional media marketing, where the goal of the promotion is to sell. Here, you need to talk about the products and encourage the receivers to click on them and obviously, do everything to convince them to purchase.
Making money from affiliate marketing depends on generating sales, and emails offer personalized and direct access to your audience. They can also be used to trigger the purchase of a product – especially knowing that people check their emails up to ten times per day.
Introducing emails to your affiliate marketing campaign can help you boost commissions. However, you need to develop relationships and not just hard sell on your email list subscribers.
Are You Ready To Make A Six-Figure Affiliate Income?
At this point, you probably know some of the best strategies to start affiliate marketing without a website. It’s true that doing this is quite different from the traditional affiliate marketing type where you have a website that you manage – but at the same time, it is also easier, and many people are earning big money with it.
So, a six-figure affiliate income is definitely possible with networks like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok. Since everyone is on social media today, there are plenty of ways to harness the power of these networks and use content publishing platforms to your advantage.
The good thing about this is that:
(However, you’ll still need something like a link tracker or an ad tracker to use it to track your analytics and traffic).
Our final verdict is something we actually mentioned before…
If you want to start affiliate marketing without a website, you need to find a niche that works for you, select products and services, and most of all, create content that is educational and helps people solve a problem. Only that way, you will be able to build relationships with them and get more clicks and sales on your links.